Monday, May 21, 2012

A Little Piece of Home...

We had some special visitors on Friday & Saturday....my best friend from TN and her son, Grant!!

 
Thanks to Hallie's lead foot(!), they arrived earlier than expected and were able to meet us out for lunch on Friday. (This was the same morning as Nate's school program, and since he did SUCH a good job, I had promised him lunch out at the restaurant of his choice. So of course we headed to the golden arches.) And ever since Nate got an "ID" made (it's a pool pass for the Rec Center), he has been asking for a wallet. I finally got him one and it went everywhere with us this weekend! But no, he didn't offer to pay at McDonald's....
My kids love love love Grant, and they picked up right where they left off with him...talking about toys, spy gear, school, spiderman, etc. It warms my heart to see our kiddos playing together once again. Just like old times!

Well, actually, one thing has changed.....Grant & Abby are now acting like love-struck teenagers! They were giggling, hugging, and kissing at every opportunity they had. It was hilarious. Abby would actually grab his face and pull him to her. I would have some awesome in-laws, so I am ok with this arranged marriage.


After Abby's nap, we all headed outside for some bubbles & playtime & bouncy house fun.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
PLEASE look at this amazing picture Hallie took of my beautiful girl!! Since when did she get so grown-up!? I love that you can finally see her eyelashes....they are so long & beautiful but hard to see since they're so blonde. Love my little beauty.
We had a sweet treat after dinner - yummy sno-cones at Summer Snow - and Nate and I tried a new flavor....root beer. So delish!
We topped off the night with a naked dance party, our tradition. Is this a picture of kids having fun or what!?
 And wow, check out Abby's white girl overbite. She reminds me of my college days, dancing at Player's!!

We moved the video monitor into Nate's room, so we could watch the boys after putting them to bed. Grant was on the air mattress, and Nate was in his bed. Well, at least he was for a little bit. He quickly moved onto the floor - right in between his bed and G's air mattress - and laid there for awhile. (When I asked him the next morning why he did that, he replied "I wanted to be closer to Grant" :)

While the boys were enjoying their sleepover, Hallie and I enjoyed some girls time at a local Irish Pub. Hot mommas on the loose!! We sat outside on the patio and chatted the night away, while enjoying some tasty beverages. A perfect night with a perfect friend! (See our "cheerleader" pose below, ha!)
Saturday morning, we went to the Farmer's Market - where Hallie bought everything in sight - and then took a quick walk on the Riverwalk.
Here's the "Batman boys" protecting their girl...

Next, we headed to a new playground (for us) at a nearby elementary school. It was HUGE and the kids didn't know what to try first. Hallie got some great shots of the kids, playing & running their little hearts out.


Hallie and I got in on a little zipline action. Why let the kids have all the fun!?

We met Greg for lunch at a local hotspot called Rama Jama's. It's a pretty famous/historic hole-in-the-wall restaurant in town, b/c it's filled with Alabama football memorabilia and sits in the shadow of Bryant-Denny stadium. And oh yeah, has some pretty amazing (greasy) food.
Walking back to the car after lunch, Grant just grabbed Abby's hand like it was the most natural thing. I told you they are in love! Her other boyfriend, David, better watch out!! :)
Hallie & Grant left around naptime and my kids cried themselves to sleep. Not kidding. (But on a positive note, the combination of crying + playing hard at the park made for 3 hour naps!)

It was nice to have a little piece of home here with us, even if it was just for 24 hours. Hallie, I love you and your sweet boy, and can't wait to see you again soon!

4 comments:

  1. The pictures are so good!! I can't get over how cute Abby and Grant are holding hands and kissing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great trip! love the close up of abby - framer!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for BFF time!:)
    Hallie told me about the "studs" at the pub!;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww... Love you too! It was one of my most favorite "quick trips" ever! Thanks for all the YUMMY food and most of all GIRL TIME! HOlla!
    And BTW... Im still enjoying my farmers market treats!
    Grant is still talking about Nate and Abby and when can we go back! SHEESH!

    OH.. and PLEASE..Nates comment about being closer to G.. PRECIOUS!

    ReplyDelete