With that being said, I have many many emotions running through my head today.... I am excited for the summer ahead b/c I have a lot of fun stuff planned for me & the kids. I am a bit nervous b/c I have to entertain 2 toddlers for 3 months. And, of course, I am sad. Sad that my sweet baby boy has finished yet another year of school. He is growing up too fast!
As a few of you know, we made the tough decision to hold him back next year.... meaning, we're not sending him to kindergarten just yet. Because of his late-August birthday, he is one week shy of the age deadline. And since he's so small/shy/sweet, I just thought he'd get run over in kindergarten. All of his friends going are already 5, about to turn 6, and he's still 4. We thought long and hard about this (and heard MANY opinions - some welcome, some not-so-much), but feel this is the right thing to do for him. He's smart as a whip, but socially, he has a ways to go and I really feel like holding him back will help his confidence so much.
Because, c'mon....look at how fast he's growing. Who wouldn't want to keep this boy back an extra year with them!?
(This one is from his first day of school back in August.)
(And here he is today. Notice how much taller he is now; I think his head is 2-3 inches higher than the line/molding on the wall!)
We have loved loved loved his teachers at Holy Spirit, and have been so pleased with the school in general. I am so proud of all he's learned, and how far he's come. In Nate's words: "I'm smart, and I'm the only one that's 4 in my class!" :)
I have a "school days" scrapbook for each of the kids - Abby's has yet to be started, of course - but I've decided to add a little something starting this year, an end-of-the-year questionnaire about his Favorite Things. Some of these answers are hilarious, others are predictable:
TV Show - Power Rangers
Movie - Spongebob
Song – “Firecracker”
by Josh Turner
Color – Red
Subject - Science
Toys - Red Sword &
Red Power Ranger
Activity - Legos
Game - Candyland
Food – Quesadilla
Outfit - Undershirts
Treat - Scribblers
(popcicles)
Book - Magic School Bus
Best Friend – Noah
I am good at….Math
I am not very good at….Crafts
My favorite thing about
school is….Centers
My least favorite thing is…Sitting down
Three words that
describe me…..Silly, Nice, Smart
And thanks to Pinterest, Nate and I made these super cute pencil vases for his teachers, along with a handwritten note from Nate, and a Barnes & Noble gift card. Hopefully his teachers know how much we appreciate them & all their hard work!
As a special treat, I took the kids to Summer Snow when I picked N up at 12. And the biggest surprise of all....Daddy joined us! We tried some more new flavors...Tiger Blood and Fuzzy Navel. As usual, it was delish! And Nate was so confused....on the way home he kept saying "why did we go to Summer Snow when it's not after dinnertime?!"
Between the pool, all our visits to Summer Snow, and the 90 degree weather, I think we are officially ready for summer!!!
Omg I can't believe how much he's grown, crazy! Such a handsome boy!
ReplyDeleteSeeing him grow so fast makes me a little sad. I guess I'm just being selfish. :(
ReplyDelete