We have begun swim lessons! This is the 3rd year of lessons for Nate, and the 2nd for Abby. Just like last year, we are using the SwimKids program, and doing a crash course for 2 weeks straight. (They go 4 days this week, and 4 days next week).
Their first day was Monday, and both were excited to get in the water! (I think the fact that it was close to 90 degrees outside helped.)
Nate is in semi-private lessons this year, and has one other boy in his class. We actually know him from school/church, it's a 2nd grader whose little sister is one of Abby's friends! And the coach is great...."Coach Vance".....he is actually the head of the program and so far is a perfect fit for Nate. Nate really responds to older men and I think his type of teaching is going to suit Nate so well. He just hangs on his every word!
Abby is in group lessons and has 1-2 other girls in her class, depending on the day. Her coach is "Miss Anna Ray," a cute college girl with lots of energy - perfect for Abby's personality! She was thrilled to be in the water and just play and go under and blow bubbles. I had to keep reminding her to listen to the teacher :)
Click here to watch Nate on Day 2! I am so proud of how he's learning to really extend those arms. Just need to work on his breathing now...since he's basically holding his breath the whole time!! Already his coach has done a great job, helping him understand the correct body position. And he can swim half the length of the pool already! And again, he loves Coach Vance and I'm really happy with the pairing. Nate is all business when it comes to swimming; he just eats up every word Coach Vance says. He's very into the mechanics of it all.
And then there's Abby....
If you want a laugh, click here to watch Abby attempt to do the backstroke for the first time. She is kicking her legs WAY higher than necessary, and her arms make it look like she's having a seizure. This was painful for me to watch at first (b/c growing up, backstroke was "my" stroke!!), but now I just think it's hilarious. I can't stop watching this actually.
Click here to watch Abby jump into the pool and swim to her coach. She's getting there, slowly but surely!
Looking forward to completing these lessons and having many pool days this summer with my kiddos!
Can't wait to go to the pool with them during Nanny and Poppy camp!
ReplyDelete