Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sleepover Adventure

Nate got invited to his first sleepover at a friend's house, and went last night. It was with his best bud from school, Noah. And Nate's first response when I told him was "Yay! He has bunk beds! I wonder if he'll let me sleep on top?!" (Now, for the record, Nate has had a few sleepovers in the past. A few with his buddy Grant, but I was there as well. As well as a few with family members - grandparents and Aunt Bebe too. So this was the first time he was at a friend's house, by himself for the sleepover. I was nervous he'd be scared, but it turns out he was fine!)

Noah extended the invitation to Nate on the last day of school - in May - but Noah's mom and I had a hard time finding a date that worked for both of us. Finally we decided on June 11th (yesterday), but I didn't tell Nate this. Otherwise he'd be asking me 100x a day when it was time for his sleepover.

So, after nap yesterday, I surprised him with the news, telling him tonight was THE night!!! He was very quiet for a few minutes - possibly in shock? - and then his first question was "I wonder what kind of toothpaste Noah has!?" Oh, my sweet, silly boy. He was also curious as to what kind of plates they'd eat dinner with - paper plates or "grown-up" plates - and what Noah's mommy would cook for breakfast. I love his little quirky brain!

They picked Nate up at 5:30pm last night, after Noah's swim lessons. Nate barely wanted them to come inside; he was ready to GO! I tried to get a picture of him with his overnight bag (that he packed himself), but he would have none of that. (Sidenote: Have I already turned into the mom that's embarrassing!?!)

They had pizza for dinner, as well as ice cream for dessert. And later, popcorn & a movie. I received a text from Noah's mom at 9 pm that she had just checked on them in bed. As soon as she opened the door, Nate quickly informed her that they were "just having a little talk." She checked on them again at 10:30 and Noah was asleep but Nate's eyes were open. And he had moved to the air mattress on the floor.

Text #2 from Noah's mom came at 6:30 am (whew! an unusually early morning for my boy!) saying they were up and finishing "The Jungle Book," and about to have pancakes & bacon. And Nate had finished out his night back on the top bunk. He said he kept rotating beds b/c the air mattress had a hole in it, ha!

I picked him up at 9 am this morning and he was sleepy but tired! And he came home with 3 treasures - a ring, a marble, and a Dora pen for Abby. On the ride home, he kept saying "How much longer till we're home?" When I asked him why he wanted to get home so bad, he replied "To see Abby!" :) (Yet, two minutes after the happy reunion they were already fighting.)

We are glad to have our boy back, but even happier that he had a good time and wants to do it again soon. Next time, our house! Nate is already planning what he wants to do with Noah & what he wants me to cook...

No comments:

Post a Comment