However, I know what the people of Tuscaloosa (and most of the state of Alabama) were doing….
They were hiding in their closets with their kids.
They were taking shelter at work, praying their houses would still be standing when they got home.
And they were starting to pick up the pieces from one of the largest tornadoes in state history.
I have heard numerous friends’ tales of where they were “that” day. Some were pregnant, some were at work, and some were at home with their kids. Everyone’s story ends the same: it was the worst day of their lives. Clearly, I wasn’t here when the tornado hit, but I feel like I will forever be impacted by it nonetheless.
The death toll that day reached 253 in the state of Alabama. Hundreds of beloved homes, trees, churches, schools, shops, and restaurants were destroyed. As were thousands of lives. Click here to watch some footage of the tornado. Words cannot describe...
And here we are, one year later. Our family has been inserted into this amazing community, and I feel so thankful we are able to be a part of it. Everyone has embraced us with open arms, and I have never witnessed such generosity, kindness, and loyalty in my life.
The neighborhood we currently live in was hit pretty hard by the tornado. Numerous families are still rebuilding, but are determined to come back. And after living here only 8 short months, I know why. This neighborhood is beyond amazing, and its’ residents are some of the most thoughtful, inviting, and sincere people I’ve ever met.
Now don't get me wrong, there is still a LOT of rebuilding to do around here, but at the same time, I can see how far this resilient community has come in one short year. And I know for a fact that this city will come back, better & stronger than ever!
T-Town Never Down. RTR!
Did ya have to make me cry on a Friday?? J/K
ReplyDeleteMoving tribute...glad to hear that the community as a whole has come together with strength.:)
Ditto Ashely! I just sobbed. How devastating and Im so glad that you weren't there at that time but so thankful you have a loving community you're part of now.
ReplyDeleteI watched some other videos of it on uTube and I was amazed at all the people on the roads still driving. CRAZY. Now you know why Im "Storm Tracker" haha