Friday, May 25, 2018

Tuscaloosa Kids' Triathlon

One of the main events Nanny & Poppy were in town for was Nate's triathlon on May 19th! This was the 3rd consecutive year Nate had participated, and the first year moving up to the "big kids" age group of 11-13 years old.

To say Nate was nervous before the race is an *understatement!* It didn't help that he had to be there early to set up all his equipment in the transition area, and then his group didn't start to race until 10 am!  The waiting was brutal.

Nate's fan club
Finally, it was time!
For the first time, he didn't use a swim shirt for the swim portion of the race. (He was hoping not having a wet shirt to take off would help him save time at the transition area.)
As expected, he didn't do great at the swim portion (100 yards). Even thought I had worked with him a few times in the month leading up to the race, he still struggled and was near the back of the pack.
He was soooooooo happy to get the swim over with first!
Look at that smile! He's like "I have the bike & run next. I love biking and running!"
For the month leading up the triathlon, Greg had been working with Nate on so many things.....biking, running, endurance training, etc. They also spent a lot of time on transitions - what to put on first, doing it fast, and so on. Well.....little did we know that they would have volunteers working in the transition area this year! Not only did they NOT help Nate, but they actually slowed him down. He was too polite to speak up, but next year, he will let them know he can do it on his own :)
He started out the bike portion of the race with only 2-3 people behind him. We knew he would kill it on this part though, thanks to his fancy new racing bike (courtesy of one of Greg's cycling friends) and an outfit (called a "kit") to match.

I mentioned that he moved up to a higher age group this year: 11-13 year olds. Both the swim and biking portions doubled for him, so I told him many times to do his best but to have low expectations. Well lo & behold, this guy came flying through the race area in FIRST PLACE on the 2nd mile of the biking and I about fell out! I could not believe it! What a stud.
He had to complete 2 two-mile loops, and here he is headed out for his 2nd loop. 
Each kid had their age written on their bicep & calf muscle (and it was your age as of 12/31, so Nate's said 11). My favorite story Nate told after the race was that during the biking portion, he was creeping up on the 13 year old in the lead on the first mile. As Nate got next to him, the kid asked "Which age group are you in?" Nate said "YOURS" and then passed him. Ha!
In the zone! Love his determination.
He finished the bike portion in 1st place and since the run was only 3/4 mile, we knew he'd kill it. That was basically a sprint for him.

Look at him go!!!
I was waiting for him at the finish line and not only did he finish in first place for his age group, but he also beat every single girl in the 11-13 age group except for one. (There was a 5 minute gap between the girls and the boys.)

When I told him he got first, he didn't believe me!!! He said he knew he was close to the front but just was not 100% sure what place he was in.
We could not be more proud of Nate and all his hard work.

Relieved / happy Coach

It's official!
We had not planned to stay for awards - remember, I didn't think he would medal - and Abby had a softball game at 11:00. I had sent her with a neighbor since I knew we wouldn't get there in time. But, Nanny & I left the triathlon to go catch the 2nd half of the game.

It killed me not to stay and see this little guy stand on the podium!! Luckily, Poppy & Greg were there to capture the big moment.


He's so proud! :)
The boys headed to Cookout for a celebratory lunch & milkshakes, (while the girls were at softball and then dance dress rehearsals).

I am still in shock that Nate only won his age group, but KILLED it. It was sweet how the 2nd and 3rd place kids came up to Nate right after the race and congratulated and complimented him. I love good sportsmanship. And so funny, I said to Nate "I'm sorry I didn't believe in you," since I told him he wouldn't medal. He said "It's ok; it just motivated me to do better." 

Whatever works! :)

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I just cried! What an amazing story! So proud of Nate!

    ReplyDelete