Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Recital Week

The week of May 14-20 was "Bama Week" for Abby's dance classes. This was where the whole dance studio pretty much moved into the Bama Theater for a whole week, in preparation for recitals on the 19-20th. I had heard about Bama Week from a few friends with older girls, but had no idea what madness would ensue. Let me tell you, it was a *super* chaotic and stressful week!!

First, for Abby's Lyrical class, she had a practice on Monday, dress rehearsal on Thursday (from 6-9:30 pm! On a school night!) and the recital on Saturday. 

{Sidebar.....I am NOT a "Dance Mom." Most of my stress from this week was doing her hair & makeup for each practice. I spent numerous hours leading up to this week practicing her two assigned hairdos (half up/curly for Lyrical and bun for Ballet). Then I had to go out and buy red lipstick for my 8 year old - ridiculous I know - and practice putting that on her as well as blush & mascara. The mascara endeavors ended in tears many times and Abby saying she looked like a skunk. Ha! I pushed through though, because many other/older Dance Moms told me that she needed it so that the stage lights wouldn't wash her out. They were right.}

Anyways, Abby loved being on the big stage for the first time at the beginning of Bama Week, and I was really glad she had those two practices to get the nerves out and get used to the bright lights. When it came time for the recital on Saturday, she was super excited!!
 Backstage fun before the Lyrical recital:
 Although Abby's dance only took about 3 minutes, the recital was 3 hours long. Luckily, she was in the first half so we could leave at Intermission. (Thank good ness because I don't think Poppy could have sat through the second act!) Abby's class did great; they danced to "True Colors" from the Trolls soundtrack. Click here to watch them at the dress rehearsal (no cameras are allowed at the recital). She has a little bit of a solo at the *very* beginning!

Abby had lots of fans at the recital....

Nanny & Poppy

Mia, Cate, Molly, Lily, and Lucy

Sweet Cate & Mia brought her flowers!

Proud parents and bro :)

Abby LOVED all the flowers she received from her adoring fans!
Funny story.....I re-touched Abby's makeup backstage before the recital started. (See above picture with Nanny, Lucy Claire, her class, etc.) Well I noticed after the show when we were giving her flowers and taking pictures that her cheeks were a LOT rosier than I remembered. I asked her if she was hot/flushed and she said no. Later she admitted that she did an extra touch-up on her cheeks right before she danced. (Note to self: do not leave make-up in Abby's bag while she is unsupervised!)

**Stay tuned for a few professional pictures of Abby; a friend took some of her during the Lyrical dress rehearsal and I'm anxiously waiting for her to send them my way!**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, as for Abby's Ballet class.....she had practice on Tuesday, dress rehearsal on Saturday, and her recital on Sunday.

 We grabbed a quick picture with Lucy Claire, Nate's "friend," before the recital
 Let's just take a moment to admire my handiwork on Abby's hair & make-up my beautiful daughter :)
 Ballet cuties ready to hit the stage! They were the very first number!
 A good friend (that is also a dance teacher) caught this cute moment backstage, right before Abby went on. She said Abby was very focused and READY! :)
 This was the "Rec" (recreational) recital, so it was only about an hour long. Abby's class was up first, and they did great! Click here to see their dance from the dress rehearsal.

Abby's classmates couldn't come to cheer her on at this recital, but she still had quite a few admiring fans in her family....


Greg and I are SO proud of Abby for trying something new this year, even though she was scared to and didn't have any friends in the class. Now, she has 2 new dance styles under her belt and 10 new friends! We can't wait to see where dance takes her in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment