Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Scout Camp 2018

Nate attended his first Scout Camp earlier this month, on June 3-6th. It was his first overnight camp and he was *very* excited! 
With the exception of one boy, Nate's entire den went to Scout Camp! And Nate was one of two scouts that would *not* have a parent with him. (Greg planned to hop in & out a few times, but neither of us would be camping out at night with him.)

This was the entire group of leaders & scouts that represented Pack 7. All the younger kids had to have their parent attend, but Webelos II parents had the option. (Parents not pictured.)
 I will say, it was *very* hard for me not to know what was going on at Scout Camp the entire time. (Yes, I know I'm a major control freak.) Luckily, Nate's den leader texted to let me know Nate was doing well and enjoyed their night swim Sunday night. And then she sent me this picture Monday morning so at least I knew he was alive :) 

Leading flags & prayer after breakfast

Home sweet home
 They had a full first day! Games, teambuilding exercises, and even fishing! They had to change into their Class A uniform each night for dinner, and then after dinner Monday night they played Minute to Win It games.
 Monday night around 9 pm, I was at Book Club and got a teary phone call from Nate (he borrowed his leader's phone). He wanted me to go home from Book Club, so I could watch Abby and Daddy could come to the bonfire. Bless his heart he was so pitiful and a little homesick. He was the only one that didn't have a parent there that night (Jake's dad popped in for a few hours), so he was just really wanting Greg there. However, by the time I got home, Greg got out to Camp Horne, it would be lights out at 10 pm. So I told him just to hold on and Daddy would be there in the morning to hang out.

Luckily, the phone call cheered him up - he facetimed with Daddy & Abby too - and he made it through the night. And Tuesday morning, Greg showed up for a few hours! 

They started with Shooting Sports....


 And then they moved onto fire safety & fire building....

Coaching Mason!? :)
 Greg left around lunchtime, and Nate got to swim, rotate through various stations, have some rest time, play games at the Trading Post, and spend money on junk food at the store.

And look who showed up after dinner for another few hours of fun!!
 One of Nate's favorite parts of Camp Horne is GaGa Ball! I don't get the appeal.....it's pretty much dodgeball in a closed arena. But the boys are *obsessed* and Tuesday night, Greg got in on the action. Lo and behold, he & Nate were the final two and then Greg got Nate out. So now Greg has GaGa Ball bragging rights :)

Wednesday morning, Abby and I went to pick up Nate and I have never seen such a big smile on his face!!!! I was *so* proud of him for lasting all 3 nights without a parent. He & Jake were the only ones that even stayed the whole time! (Some kids left Tuesday night, and one got sick and left Tuesday morning). It was quite an adventure for Nate and he loved almost every minute of it. 

Boy was he STINKY when we picked him up, so I made him shower as soon as we walked in the door. Once he was clean, he settled in with his favorite things for lunch - Jimmy John's, his iPad, and the blue blanket.
Oh how I missed this boy!!! I have NO idea how I am going to survive when he goes to college....

No comments:

Post a Comment