I tagged along with the 4th graders to Montgomery, AL back on May 3rd. It was the first time for both Nate and me to visit the Alabama State Capitol Building!
(Only downside....it was a 2 hour drive each way....)
Our first stop in Montgomery was the Little White House of the Confederate.
I'll be honest, I think the kids' biggest takeaway was the portrait with creepy eyes that followed you, and the "angel" pictured below:
I enjoyed looking in all the rooms and seeing how they lived back then. And most of the furniture was original!
| Mason, Nate, JJ |
| Both 4th grade classes |
Next, we headed to the Alabama State House of Representatives. We were lucky that they weren't in session, and we got to go down on the House floor to participate in a real vote!
We each got to sit at a Representatives desk and cast a vote as to whether to increase summer break to 6 months :) As you can see, the "yeas" won. (No surprise there!)
Next we headed to the Senate Gallery:
We took the underground tunnel to the State Capitol Building! This was really cool.
We had a pizza lunch in the tunnel/bottom floor of the Capitol Building, and then headed upstairs and thru a LOT of security lines...
The ground floor of the capitol building has twin cantilevered spiral staircases that are breathtaking! They are 3 stories high. (I took this picture from the ground looking up; you can see Lucy Claire & Nate looking over the banister.)
The dome interior of the rotunda:
Views of the old Senate & House of Representatives chambers.
What a day....lots of walking, lots of information, and lots of fun! Happy to be able to go on this field trip with my boy - even if it meant 4 hours in the car with him & his crazy friends :)
No comments:
Post a Comment