Last Thursday, Abby read in mass for the first time! This was a big deal because she was only 1 of 2 kindergarteners picked to read. Proud mom moment!!
She had about 3 weeks to practice, and seemed more excited than nervous. Thank goodness she got a Barbie microphone with a stand for Christmas, so we could practice at home every night :)
When the big day arrived, Abby seemed nervous on the way to school and insisted on reading her part at least 307 times out loud.
Mass was packed ... it was a campus-wide mass (grades PK-12) and a lot of parents attended too since it was Catholic Schools Week. She sat a few pews in front of Greg & I, and looked back at us many times during mass. I could tell she was super nervous but just gave her a cheesy "thumbs up" every time.
Finally, it was time for the Petitions to be read. She was about the 4th one to read.
And she did awesome!!!!!!!!!!! You could barely see her over that big podium, but I was so proud because she spoke slowly & clearly like we had practiced. It was a little quiet though, so you'll have to turn the volume up if you want to watch the very brief video clip here.
| Abby plus Elijah, the other kindergarten reader :) |
I remember when Nate was in kindergarten and he read for the first time.... I was in awe of him for being so brave, and I was equally in awe of Abby when she did it. Because let's be honest....if you know me, you know that public speaking is pretty much my worst nightmare. I'm so thankful neither of my kids inherited that from me!!
I promised Abby an after-school treat for doing so well, and she picked TCBY. And Nate got some ice cream too because he insisted I never treated him after his first reading. Ha!
So proud of our "baby" girl; can't wait to see what she does next!
I'm really proud of that girl :) Her reading skills have progressed by leaps and bounds in just a few months it seems. Two kids, two good public speakers.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome little girl to get up in front of all those people and read so well. that takes guts and confidence! Way to go!
ReplyDelete