Saturday, December 21, 2013

Our Family Traditions

I am a girl who loves Schedules. Order. Predictability. Traditions!!

My mom instilled that last one into me... we had SO many great Christmas traditions growing up, and I remember them so fondly. I hope my kids will remember our family's traditions when they are in their 30's and want to carry them on too :)

I've tried to incorporate some traditions from my childhood, as well as create some news one with my little family.  

Here is a list of our current favorites:
-Baking buckeyes
-Decorating the tree the day after Thanksgiving , listening to Christmas music for the first time of the year, and reminiscing over every ornament
-Going to Christmas Eve Children's Mass and watching the kids perform in the play
-Having the kids sleep in the same room on Christmas Eve, so they can wake up and be excited together! (I am mean and make them stay in their room till 7 am though :)
-I buy each kid a Hallmark ornament each year...something that symbolizes that year or what they are "into" that year
-Going to the neighborhood Christmas party and riding the horse-drawn carriage
-Baking cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve and having Daddy read "Twas the Night before Christmas" before bed
-Advent calendar
-Going out to breakfast before we visit Santa at the mall, showing him our Santa letters, and riding the train afterwards

New traditions we are starting, as of this year:
-Cutting down our own Christmas tree
-Advent wreath
-Decorating a gingerbread house
-Having a dinner pizza picnic by the tree after Christmas Eve mass
-Ice skating & the ice slide (more on this one later; we are attempting it on Monday :)
-Sipping on hot chocolate while touring nearby neighborhoods for Christmas lights 
-In lieu of a big meal on Christmas Day (since it's just the the 4 of us), Greg is going to attempt to make cajun shrimp & grits this year!



2 comments:

  1. Aww! I love traditions! It's a great idea to write them down, too! I should do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good memories! It is the traditions, not the gifts that really matter.

    ReplyDelete