Monday, December 9, 2013

Family Fun Day

Sunday was 40 degrees and rainy. Gross. So.... immediately after getting home from church, we all changed into "comfy clothes," and had a l.a.z.y day. It was wonderful!!!

I was secretly glad that Nate's basketball practice got cancelled (though they REALLY need the practice, ha)! Instead, we spent the afternoon by the fire, playing games, roasting marshmallows, snuggling under blankets, having hot chocolate, and reading.

The kids got a kick out of roasting marshmallows for the first time inside.




 Then it was onto decorating the gingerbread house. This was our first attempt, so I decided to get a pre-assembled one. Maybe next year I'll get brave and put it together myself.
 The kids were SUPER excited to decorate the gingerbread house!!! (In reality, I think they were more excited to eat some of the "toppings" when they thought I wasn't looking :) They both worked very diligently on their 3 sides. The icing was a bit harder to apply than I had anticipated, so that was my job.

Please notice my OCD son is making patterns on his side on the roof :)

Nate finished his sides first, so he gladly took on the role of "candy-hander-outter" :)

The finished product!

This was Abby's side of the house

Very proud of their creation!
We had a great time decorating the gingerbread house, and I definitely think we will add it to our list of Christmas traditions for next year! (Thanks Nanny, for the suggestion!)

2 comments:

  1. That last picture is adorable! And roasting marshmallows indoors--totally worth having to take out the ashes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks too good for kids to have done it! The houses I made were a mess! They definitely take after you!

    ReplyDelete