I have no idea why I've taken so long to post this! Been busy I guess!
We decided to try something a little different this year regarding our Christmas tree. Usually, we go to Lowes and get a frasier fir. It's quick, easy, and I get my "fresh Christmas tree" smell.
But growing up, I have such fond memories of piling in the station wagon, snuggling under blankets, drinking hot chocolate, and going to cut our Christmas tree down as a family. So, I wanted this to be the year that we started a tradition like that for my own family.
So......I did some research (thank God for Facebook!) and found a local tree farm where you can cut down your own tree. (Well, the workers cut it down for you. But the idea is the same! :) So the Sunday after Thanksgiving, we made a visit to Murphy's Christmas Tree farm! The kids had so much fun running up & down the rows of trees.
Greg was the one to finally pick out "our" tree - it's the one right in front. It's a cypress - which we've never had - and I love how symmetrical it is :)
| Abby wanted to have a photo shoot while Nate & Daddy went to find someone to cut it down for us :) |
| My cuties! |
| Hard at work |
| Securing it to the top - this fascinated Nate :) |
| Off we go!! |
We got the tree on Sunday Dec 1st, and Nate had basketball that afternoon & my in-laws were still in town. So after putting it in the tree stand, it stood naked till Monday when I could decorate in peace & quiet (aka while the kids were in school). I actually couldn't get it all done - issues with the lights, as usual - so the kids helped me put the finishing touches on when they got home from school.
Now, we are not a family that does a tree with fancy shmancy ornaments. And no judgment against those that do that, but I just love that the majority of our ornaments are either homemade or sentimental. It's so fun to reminisce over past Christmases as we pull out each ornament. The kids loved seeing all the Hallmark ornaments I've given them over the years, and love to laugh at the ones I made as a kid. I also make a photo ornament of the kids from each year. Check out the one from 2009, when Abby was just weeks old:
And this year's ornament:
So, here is our tree, in all her glory:
And, an updated picture, now complete with all the presents underneath:
I have a mini (fake) tree that the kids get to decorate each Christmas. I let them pick out which ornaments they wanted (which was hard), and then let them decorate the tree as they saw fit (which was super hard for an OCD control-freak like me! Things were not spaced out properly! LOL).
They had a great time though, and I have to admit, their tree looks pretty good. And I love seeing it all lit up at night in the playroom.
| Her nickname isn't Miss Sassy Pants for nothing :) |
I changed up a few pieces of my other Christmas decor this year, but of my favorites still remain from my childhood....
| This is the first year we attempted outside lights! Baby steps... |
| This is what you see immediately to the left when you walk in our front door. Love! |
| The best seat in the house....all I need is a fire but Greg is at school late tonight giving his last exam :( |
Trees looks great! I love looking at ornaments too :)
ReplyDeletelove all the decorations so much! very festive!
ReplyDeleteJust love the 2009 ornament. It melts my heart.
ReplyDeleteThe outside and inside look beautiful! It makes me feel so good when you talk about wanting to do things that we did as a family such as going to the Christmas tree farm and the decorations. I feel like our family will live on! Now I'm crying!
ReplyDelete