Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Griffin Farms

Last Saturday, we took advantage of a little free time and headed to Griffin Farms Pumpkin Patch! 

 We miss our pumpkin patch in TN dearly, and have had a hard time finding a place that even compared. From what I hear, there are a few good ones in Birmingham, or ones that are even further out - like 1.5 hrs. I just can't justify going that far, so we haven't really to a pumpkin patch since we moved here 2 years. So sad, b/c Fall is the favorite holiday in our household, and pumpkin patches are a big reason why.

So........we heard about a new place opening up this year, about 30 minutes away, and decided to give it a try. Now, this was not an ideal weekend to go to the pumpkin patch, since was 91 degrees. (Yes, I am serious. Stupid Alabama.) But we have a crazy October with weddings and visitors and trips, so it was either Saturday or wait till a few days before Halloween. And I thought all the pumpkins would be gone by then!

We braved the heat and put on our summer clothes, and I got over the fact that I would not be getting my cute family photo ops with our little Fall outfits on. Oh well! :)

We started at the petting zoo and as usual, Nate did not want to touch any of the animals. Abby dove right in of course, and much to my surprise, so did Greg!



Abby was obsessed with this white bunny


She kept pointing at the water and saying "Goat! Come here!"


Gobble, Gobble!

 Then, we moved onto the corn maze at Nate's request. This was his favorite part of the day and he ended up doing it with Greg one more time before we left. He loved "taking the hard way" and not staying on the paths.


 Then we tried out the hay stack, swings, and corn crib.

Abby enjoyed being buried in the corn so much, that she decided to bring a little bit of it home with her. And by "little bit," I mean about 20 pieces of corn stuck in every pocket (& crevice!) she has. We were finding it for days. Even in her underwear, no joke!
Nate "making it rain"

Filled his sock with corn to make it look like a fake foot, ha!

Beautiful family farm
 Admission included a ride on the zipline, for ages 12 and up. I had debated doing it, but then decided to be the photog instead. Greg had fun though, and the kids LOVED watching him the whole way. And running after him....alllllll the way down the hill.

Poor Greg was exhausted from walking up the hill & carrying Abby too! Oops!

 Then, a little time in the bouncy houses before a quick snack while we waited for the hayride to come back & unload.
 Finally, it was our turn to take a hayride out to the pumpkin patch and pick out our 4 pumpkins!!



My mom - the teacher - would be proud of the science lesson I gave Abby! We'd never seen pumpkins growing on the vine!

A long day, but a good one. Hoping to go back for many more years to come. Just one of the many reasons I love Fall - so many wonderful family traditions!!

4 comments:

  1. No mention of what Abby brought home in addition to her pumpkin? Mom was in hysterics telling me about "corn from my butt for you, Nanny"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CANT believe they played in that corn as much as they hate being dirty! Love all your pictures! Just a thought but we can always got to Waldren Farms when you come :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looked like a beautiful day even if it was hot. Wish I'd been there to do the zipline and the corn maze. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looked like a beautiful day even if it was hot. Wish I'd been there to do the zipline and the corn maze. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete