Monday, August 6, 2012

Miss Priss Goes to School

Today was Abby's first day of "school," and I'm not sure who was more excited - her or me!! She is going to the Mother's Morning Out program at a local church, on MWF from 8:30-12:30 pm. She eats lunch there, and then I pick her up before naptime.

We went to the Open House last night, and she loved her classroom right away. She and Nate jumped into playing with all the toys immediately, while the Dora kitchen and books caught her eye the most. It ends up that we actually know one little girl in there (it's my neighbor's best friend's daughter)! There are around 12 kids in her class and I liked both of her teachers a lot, Ms. Tonya & Ms. Melissa. They both have a lot of experience and I loved all the outlines & information they gave for the school year :) Plus, they are going to be taking a few field trips this year, and I'm excited to help chaperone one or two.

This morning, Abby asked immediately if it was "school time" yet. She kept telling me over & over how she "would not peepee in her unnerwear!" She was completely fascinated as I packed her lunch in her new Dora lunchbox, and tried to open it and start eating a few times before we headed to school.

However, Miss Sassy-pants was NOT in the mood for a photo shoot this morning - she just wanted to get to school already! But Nate ended up helping make her smile, as well as Daddy. Love my sweet girl's little cheesy grin!!



Nate insisted getting in a picture with Abby and of course, how could I resist that angelic smile!? He is so proud of his sister and I think a little bit in disbelief that she's old enough to go to school!!

 She insisted on wearing her backpack into the school, even though it's almost as big as her. She remembered right where her classroom was and when she didn't see any kids on the (indoor) playground, she asked "Is the playground closed!?"


And how about that backpack - cutest thing ever right??? She loves birds, so I got a bird monogrammed on her backpack (Thanks Pottery Barn Kids!) and then made sure her "1st day of school" outfit had birds on it as well.

She did not want to take off her backpack once we got into the class. In fact, I had to pry it off of her to get it in her cubby. Once it was off though, I gave her a quick kiss and she ran to the Dora kitchen. I spied on her through the glass for a minute and she was in her own little world!

When Nate and I picked her up at 12:30, she was finishing up her lunch. Ms. Melissa said she had a great day, went potty without any problems, and got an extra sticker for cleaning up toys. As soon as I picked her up and started to leave though, she threw a FIT!! She started screaming "I stay and sweep (sleep) with my friends!!!!" It was pitiful. I tried to explain that going home in napping in her soft bed would be much more comfortable than napping on a mat on the floor. She didn't buy it. The only thing that calmed her down after 5 minutes of sobbing and walking thru the building so everyone could hear, was to tell her she could call Daddy and talk about her day.

On the way home, I asked her what she did at school, and all I could get out of her was "inside playground, puzzles, and sing songs." I asked her what song she sang and she busted out with some of  "Jesus Loves Me," which I've never heard her sing before!!! Melt me. She also said she played with "boys first, then girls," and "went potty a lot of times."

I'm so happy she enjoyed her first day and I hope this continues. I am proud of my baby girl and know this year at school is going to be so good for her.

3 comments:

  1. I love that she didn't want to leave school. Social butterfly for sure :) Can't wait for Wednesday's post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are ADORABLE and the last one makes me melt! How are these girls growing up so fast??

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOOVE her backpack and I can NOT believe its time for school for her :( She looks so big but Im so happy she loves it! Happy for Mama too!

    ReplyDelete