For Father's Day, I gave Greg 2 tickets to see Merle Haggard in concert. Merle is one of Greg's all-time favorite singers, so I knew we couldn't pass up the opportunity to see him play here in town (before he dies, ha! He is OLD!!)
So, last night was the concert, and I'll be honest...I wasn't exactly looking forward to it. Now don't get me wrong, I love country music. But Merle is a whole different level of COUNTRY!!! I didn't know the guy opening up for Merle either (Jamey Johnson). I knew we would have fun though, just because it was a chance for a date night. And it took place at the Ampitheater, where we saw fireworks on July 4th.
(I can't help but die laughing at the guy in the background with the hat backwards and braided rat-tail!? Yes, folks, there were all types of people at this concert.)
First up, there was a local guy named Wayne Mill that performed. The guy sitting next to Greg (read: huge, drunk redneck) said he used to be a UA football player. While that's great and all, I thought he was just "okay." But after a few songs, Jamey Johnson came on and was soooo good! He is very old-school country like Merle; please notice the long beard & hair. He really was excellent though. Greg said he wanted to get his cd and I replied "why don't we just download a few songs on iTunes instead!?" I swear we are sooooo ghetto. I mean seriously, who buys cds anymore??
Then, the man of the hour: Merle Haggard!!!! He came out in his snazzy suit, as did all of his band members. It was neat to see the whole crowd (except me) sing every lyric to his songs. Talk about fans! I think his longstanding success (40+ years!?) is such a testament to his songwriting talent. (And yes, I did enjoy and recognize a few songs!!)
Jamey came out to sing a duet towards the end, and that might have been my favorite song. The only thing that could have made it better was if Willie Nelson had made a surprise appearance!!
It ended up being a great date night, for many reasons.... Greg and I got to chill together, have a few beers, and listen to good music. The weather was absolutely perfect - 70 and breezy. And best of all, I got to witness my husband have a look of pure joy on his face.
I hope you enjoyed your Father's Day gift, Greg. You deserve it!! Thank you for being such an amazing father to our kiddos.
EMILY.. Franklin would die if he knew you didn't know Jamey J! Its his FAVE! Glad you liked him, guess I know which CD I'll be burning for our next road trip, ha!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had fun and YES the guy with the braids.. hilarious.. Im sure you saw some interesting folk! :)
Blogs should have the LIKE thingy
ReplyDelete