Monday, August 20, 2012

Happy Birthday, Nate!! (Part 2)

At 6:45 this morning, I was in the kitchen making a special birthday breakfast for Nate. All of a sudden, I hear this little voice say "FIVE!" and Nate jumps into the kitchen (nearly making me pee my pants, thanks). I was so happy to be the first one to tell my sweet boy Happy Birthday. As I'm kissing & hugging him, he pulls away and says, "Can I have my gum now?!"

(Back story: I have told him for over a year now that when he’s 5, he can chew gum. No idea why I thought 5 was an appropriate age; in fact, looking back, I wish I would have said 6 or 7. But alas, he has held me to my word and so at 6:50 am, Nate had his first piece of gum. And it didn't disappoint! I told him after school today we will have a bubble-blowing lesson and he could barely contain his excitement.)

As an added surprise, I compiled the world's largest basket of cavities gum. He had no idea what some of them were (Big League Chew, Chiclets...), but his face lit up when he saw the bubble tape. Oh my sweet boy, he's so easy to please sometimes.

We woke Daddy up for an early morning breakfast of bacon & cake batter pancakes (click here for the recipe). As we were eating, I asked Nate a few questions that I had seen on Pinterest (click here for link). I want to do this every year and add it to the kids' birthday scrapbooks.
How old are you? 4 and a half....wait, 5!!
What makes you happy? This one's easy....Mommy :)
What is your favorite animal? Tiger
What is your favorite thing to eat? Quesadillas
What is your least favorite thing to eat? Lettuce
What is your favorite thing to do? Puzzles
What is your favorite TV show? Power Rangers
What are you really good at? Math
What is your favorite movie? Ben 10
What is your favorite color? Red
What is your favorite song? "Firecracker" by Josh Turner
Who is your best friend? Noah
What do you and your Mom do together? Crafts
What do you and your Dad do together? Wrestle
What is your favorite sport? Baseball
Where is your favorite place to go? (Abby chimed in first: "I know! McDonald's!") Yes....McDonald's
What is your favorite book? Boxcar Children
What do you want to be when you grow up? A builder

Then, at lunch today, I went to Nate's school to eat with him and have another little celebration. This time, with cookie cakes! It was fun to see him "in his element," talk to some of his new friends. and sit on the carpet and sing songs with the class. Nate was so excited to see me that he barely ate his lunch, but somehow found the appetite to wolf down his cookie cake :)



And last but not least, we had a Power Rangers-themed birthday party on Saturday (more on that later), and Nate was excited to celebrate turning 5 with lots of his family & friends. He got waaaaay too many gifts to name, but I think the legos, magic set, Incredible Hulk boxing gloves, Dark Knight costume, and Power Rangers training kit were among the favorites (for now anyways).

Happy 5th birthday to my sweet boy!

4 comments:

  1. Birthday scrapbooks! Whoa, you are like the best mom ever! It makes me tired just thinking of all the ways you document, research for, and celebrate your kids' lives! Awesome job! And happy birthday to your little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a funny post!
    1. Im picturing you in the kitchen and him jumping around the corner with those sweet skinny fingers saying' "5", made me bust out laughing.
    2. The "You can't have gum till your 5" rule.. I remember him telling Grant that! PS. Chiclets are G's new fave!
    3. I about licked the picture of the pancakes!
    4. "Mommy makes you happy".. seriously MELT ME
    5. The Boxcar Children.. so forgot about that, that was my favorite book series as a kid!

    LOVE this post! So glad he had a special bday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad he liked the gum!! I love bubble tape. Maybe I should stock up on some fun gum before he comes labor day weekend. PS- those pancakes looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GUM! Love this, that the first thing he wanted was the gum. Can't believe you have a 5 year old, seriously.

    ReplyDelete