Thursday, August 7, 2014

First Day of School!

The kiddos went back to school yesterday!! Both were super excited, and I'm not gonna lie, I was too! :)
The cutest 1st grader and preschooler I know :)
 Photo shoots early in the morning are always interesting. Abby derailed / got silly VERY quickly....she was ready to get to school and see her friends!


She pinched Nate, ha!

I said "Abby, please cooperate and smile!"

...so she did. But closed her eyes. Photo shoot officially over!
 
 Abby Reece
We dropped Abby off at PK4 first. This is her last year in the preschool building! (Next year, she will be next door with Nate in the Elementary School, wow! Not ready to talk about that.) She has 18 kids in her class, and her teachers are Mrs. Guggenberger & Mrs. Olivero, both of whom Nate has had before and we were happy with.
 Apparently, her new favorite colors are "golden" and pink, so I did my best to find an outfit with both of those colors. And, when I asked her what bow she wanted to wear, she said "Well if I'm taking pictures, I HAVE to have my rainbow bow!" (Like duh, how did I not know that!? Ha!) This is the last year where she can wear her own clothes - uniforms are required starting in kindergarten. She is not going to be happy about that!!


 She threw a mini-tantrum when I asked her to go play on the floor with the other kids. She wanted to color right.that.second but I told her that she couldn't. Finally, she gave in and picked the box of toys that was furthest away from everyone. Nice compromise.

I was able to get one last smile before I left! :)
 When I picked her up from school, she was all smiles and said she had a great day! She made a new friend, and when I asked her name, she said "I don't know; she's a brown girl." So I quickly looked up the class list and found out her real name! :) She was most excited about getting able to eat lunch in the big cafeteria - something new this year - mostly because she saw Nate! She said she colored a lot, sang songs, and learned what jobs they get to have each day. She is most looking forward to being the "caboose" - I think because you get to boss people around if they are not in line. Typical.
As a sweet surprise, the school photographer went around the school and took pics of every single kid on the first day! Look at my beauty! :)
 
Nate
After dropping Abby off, I walked with Nate inside the elementary school. He is in Mrs. Stickland and Mrs. Gi's class, with 14 other kids. Love these small classes!
 All the kids go to the gym upon arrival, and sit with their class until the bell rings, and then their teacher leads them into their classroom.
 At Open House Tuesday, Nate was SO excited to see that he has his own desk for the first time!!!! (Like, literally, I think he talked about it for 2 hours straight when we left.) Also at Open House, we discovered that he is going to have a LOT more homework this year. He had about 5 textbooks and 4 workbooks in his desk, crazy!

So proud of my 1st grader!
 When I picked Nate up, the first thing he told me was that a boy threw up on the playground from heat exhaustion. Thanks for that tidbit! He also was super excited about three things: 1). they get to go to the Computer Lab each Wednesday, 2). they get to sit by whomever they want at lunch now, and 3). they get to do Science every day!! I love that he is excited about school and that he made a new friend on the first day, Reagan. He's a new boy in class and it warms my heart that Nate seeks out the new kids and tries to be-friend them.
 
Krispy Kreme was offering a free donut to any kid on their first day of school, so of course we stopped by on the way home with some friends!!
What a great way to start off the school year!

2 comments:

  1. I love that they love school. Hope it lasts for 12/13 yrs! Better yet I hope they love learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Abby is a beauty in that sweet school picture! Nate sure looks grown up, too!

    ReplyDelete