I was blessed to have 4 amazing grandparents. And even more so, to have wonderful and different relationships with each of them. They each lived full & rich lives, and for that I am so thankful.
I had to say goodbye to my last grandparent a little over 2 weeks ago. She passed away peacefully in her sleep, in the hospital near my parents' house. We called her "Deedee" and she was the most spunky, unique, loving, and crazy lady you'd ever met.
She spent most of her life in Ohio, and that is where I spent the first 6 years of mine. She was a constant fixture at our house for those 6 years, and in fact as I was looking back at my scrapbooks for these pictures, she was in the majority of them.
I remember playing outside with her, going on walks to the Dayton library, reading books, going to garage sales (she was quite the bargain hunter!), playing dress-up, swimming & having Easter egg hunts at the Dayton country club.


I love this picture because it represents 4 generations: my (great) Nanny, Deedee, my Dad, and then me & my sisters.
![]() |
| July 1983 |
My family moved to NC in 1986, and obviously in the years that followed, we did not see as much of Deedee (and her husband Gregg). They made the trip to NC as many times as possible though, for holidays, graduations, and lots of times in between.
![]() |
| Christmas 1992 |
Besides spending time with Deedee & Gregg in Ohio, and North Carolina, we made lots of memories at the beach in SC. Deedee's sister Betty Berly lived there, and we would go to the Berly's beach house every summer. One summer was especially fun, as we threw a surprise 50th anniversary party for Deedee & Gregg! (They were good sports and even wore these crazy masks.) My family still goes there every summer, and I love all the memories that house holds.
![]() |
| June 1994 |
Perhaps the thing I'll remember most about Deedee was her sense of style. She was like no one I'd ever met when it came to "fashion." Every memory I have of her includes a wild pair of shoes, gaudy necklaces, fur vests, light-up hats, and everything in between. She reveled in being the eccentric one, and loved going shopping for not only herself but her lovely grandkids (we were her only three). Every birthday and Christmas, we would be on the edge of our seats to see what Deedee had given us. Each gift was given out of love, but sometimes, was a little.....well, odd. Take the below picture for example. The vest, Nascar jacket, jean jacket, mink scarf & purse, and red rubber jacket were given to us for Christmas in 2006. And she was not joking.
(Dixie Chicks - remember my "Little House on the Prairie" outfit, and my "Chinese Porn Star" one as well!?)
Once my grandfather (Gregg's) healthy started declining, my dad moved Deedee & Gregg from OH to NC so he could place them in a nearby assisted living and help take care of them. While I know this was a bittersweet time for everyone involved, I was selfishly glad because I was about to have Nate.....their first great-grandchild. Which meant that every time I went home to NC, we could see my parents, as well as Deedee & Gregg. I will never forget the first time Deedee held Nate.....
| Christmas 2007 |
My dad tirelessly cared for his parents for the past 6 years, once they moved to NC. He would say it was his job, since he was an only child. But every day he went above & beyond for them. And so I know being in NC was such a blessing to them. Unfortunately in March 2010, my grandfather Gregg passed away from a long illness. The only good to come of that situation was that when I flew to NC for the funeral, Deedee got to meet her first & only great-granddaughter. Abby was only 4 months old at the time. I will never forget sitting through Gregg's memorial service in the very front row, with Abby in my lap and Deedee right next to me, holding both of our hands. I think Abby being there was the only thing that helped Deedee get through that day. She & Gregg were married for 66 years, and we swore she would die of a broken heart soon.
![]() |
| March 2010 |
But like I said, this woman was a fighter. And apparently, she had a lot of life left in her. She got to spend almost 3 more years with her son, her grandkids, and her great-grandkids. Though life was not always grand in the nursing home, I think she did eventually make friends and grow to love the place and all the activities (bingo, shopping, etc).
And of course I was thrilled that my little family got a few more opportunities to see her as well. I love this picture, for so many reasons. One, Abby has crazy hair! :) Two, I love the expression on Deedee's face. Pure joy. And three, it combines so many things of Deedee's essence: lots of birds, crazy necklaces, and an orange couch. Love it.
| October 2010 |
I will always remember the Christmas we spent in NC with my family in 2010. It's really the last time we saw the "real" Deedee, because she began to deteriorate with Alzheimer's soon after that. If anyone has ever had a family member with Alzheimer's, they will tell you it's an awful disease and a very, very sad one. Bless my mom & dad these past few years, as they've been by her side through all the ups and downs.
![]() |
| Christmas 2010 |
Nate was lucky enough to have one last visit with Deedee this past summer, as he was in NC for "Camp Nanny & Poppy." I always loved watching him with Deedee, because he was so good with her! Very conversational, and not scared at all (because you know, sometimes old people can be scary to little kids!) He is such a sweet spirit and I know Deedee soaked up every minute with him, whether she knew who he was or not :)
| June 2012 |
You may wonder why I've chosen today to share all of this with you. I will admit, it's definitely taken me a few weeks to process Deedee's passing. I've hardly talked about it at all actually. The real reason is because today would have been Deedee's 88th birthday. So today, I'm thinking about her....I'm missing her....and I want to celebrate her.
But, if I know anything, it's that she's up in heaven right now with Gregg, in her party hat & party dress, having a blast and nothing makes me happier. Love you Deedee!!





.jpg)


.jpg)
Great tribute to deedee! I love the old pictures.
ReplyDeleteso sorry em! what a great blog for her!
ReplyDeleteOh wow.. what a beautiful post! I've heard you talk about DeeDee for years and Im sitting here crying! Beautiful tribute!
ReplyDeleteSide Notes:
Um.. your baby picture... WOW never realized how much Nate looks JUST like you!.
The picture of all of you in the clothes she bought... I wasnt sure which made me laugh harder, Gregs vest or Becky's race jacket. HYSTERICAL!
The picture of you, Deedee and Abby holding hands.. TEAR JERKER and so very precious!
GREAT POST!
Thanks Em for sharing your thoughts and memories of such a special lady. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post! I'm so glad you had four grandparents in your life. It is really something to have had one this long, too. And so many beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Em and so very sorry each Christmas post won't include my favorite picture, everyone DeeDee's gifts!
ReplyDeleteAnd ok, your baby picture- gracious it looks like Anderson! I've never seen Beck's baby picture but I bet he looks like her.
this was very beautiful and had me tearing up. great memories you all have with deedee.
ReplyDeleteEm, this is a great tribute to DeeDee. I always loved hearing about the joy and fun she added to your family, especially when it came to her presents! Losing grandparents is so hard, but holding on to those precious memories you created is the best way to honor their legacy! Thinking about all the Gibbs.
ReplyDeleteI am also in tears right now reading all of this - I am thankful your parents were able and willing to care for her like they have in recent years. She was for sure a character and added so many laughs to your family. Love you.
ReplyDeleteAnd the vest, stop it. I can't stop laughing and crying at the same time.