My mom's birthday is in April, and the only thing she's asked for for about the last 10 years is to have a weekend away with her girls. Fortunately, we've been able to make this happen 7 out of the last 10 years! (Babies kinda got in the way there for a little bit :)
So, as a belated birthday present for Mom, we rented a cottage on Lake Norman (which is outside Charlotte, NC). I flew into Charlotte last Friday and was greeted by Bec's new car and bunch of smiling faces!! Then we were off to do what we do best.... eat lunch and do some shopping at the outlets!! Sadly, the kids were the only ones that really got anything. A tad disappointing.
Oh well, our moods sure improved when we pulled up to our cottage and saw this view out back:
I have been w.a.i.t.i.n.g to wear some "fall" clothes and I finally got the chance because it was breezy and in the low 70's. We headed out to the dock for happy hour & catch-up time.
We fixed a Mexican feast for dinner, and had s'mores by the bonfire that night. Have I mentioned yet how much I love Fall?! Comfy clothes and roasted marshmallows are two of my favorite things :)
Bec & Lora drew the short straw and had to sleep in the room with bunk beds, while Mom & I each got our own rooms. Heaven! I think everyone slept well our first night except for Bec....she was convinced she heard noises & saw flashlights outside, so she was "on guard" half the night and texting Mike our address in case a serial killer came. Yes, I am serious.
Despite that, everyone woke up in a good mood and headed out to the back porch to enjoy this view and grub on some breakfast burritos.
| Lora outdid herself with our burrito bar! :) |
Then it was off to the Whitewater Center for some hiking and zip-lining!!
We all survived the Mega Zip!! The only downside was that we had to wait a super long time in line with all our gear on - over an hour - and poor Bec had to pee the whole time!! :(
We got back to the cottage and munched on appetizers & sangria for a very late lunch, and then spread out for a few hours....
...I headed to the dock for some sunshine & reading. So peaceful.
Lora & Bec laid out on the "beach" for a bit, Mom read her kindle and took a dip in the lake, and I think Bec even managed to squeeze a catnap in. It was wonderful just to relax, not talk, and enjoy our surroundings for a few hours :)
Then it was time to shower & get ready for dinner. And wine time of course!
![]() |
| Loved this glass - it said "Forget the cracker, Polly wants wine!" LOL |
| In the car on the way to dinner |
Bec picked a great spot for dinner, Port City Club, and we all enjoyed our seafood meals. I even got a little crazy and tried the appetizer - crab toast. Not bad!
Sunday morning, we took a few more glances at this beautiful getaway and headed off to breakfast....
Again, Bec took us to a cute little spot right in the heart of downtown Davidson, near the college. It was called Toast and we all had delicious omelets & quiches. Then it was time to head to Bec's house, to pick up Lora's car. (Lora & Mom drove in together from Clemmons). Sad to see them go, but at least we got to see this little munchkin for a few minutes!!
Then, Bec & Anderson dropped me off at the airport for my flight home. Such a great trip and so sad to see the weekend end. I'm already looking forward to next year....Bec, did you say you wanted to try Nola!? ;)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Fun! You all have such a wonderful relationship - love it!!! Em, I am lovin' your hair.
ReplyDeleteNola would be soooo fun! But I would be very jealous bc I know the first place you'd hit is Cafe DuMonde. You could take the train.
ReplyDeleteThis is an awesome idea!! I should get my mom and sisters to do this! I'm floating this next chance I get!
ReplyDeleteThese are the best memories! Can't wait till they are all captured in our awesome scrapbook!
ReplyDelete