Today was the first home football game of the season for UA. Even though we didn't have tickets to the game vs. Kent State, we had been told that these fans make tailgating the main event anyways. They weren't kidding!
Greg saw tents being set up Friday afternoon on the quad, and RV's starting the line the streets leading up to & surrounding the stadium. It seriously is quite the spectacle. Some of the set-ups were quite elaborate...surround sound, massive flat screen tv's, fans, catering, and oh yes - I saw one canopy that had a wrought iron chandelier. Not kidding! From what we've heard, these PRIMO spots on the quad go for top-dollar every year, and we can see why!
During an early morning run today on the quad, I got goosebumps...just seeing so many people out & about already, excited for the game, already sitting under their tents, eating, throwing footballs, etc. Parking attendants were out, Alabama jerseys were already on. Oh and did I mention this was at 6:30 am??? (The game started at 11:30 am). Craziness I tell ya! But I really do love it. You could just feel the excitement in the air.
One of the perks of Greg's job is that we get a free parking pass for games (holla!) and get to attend a catered tailgate party at the Business College that starts 3 hrs before every home game. Today's menu was brunch complete with omelets, grits, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, yogurt parfaits, and the kids fave - bacon!
We grubbed and then headed to the quad to see all the action. It is quite a spectacle and these pictures do NOT do it justice!
On the far end of the quad was the Kids Zone...lots of food vendors, games, and about 10 or more bouncy castles!! The kids had a ball despite the heat, and it was hard to tear them away from it after a few hours.
Since we *clearly* need some more UA gear to fit in around here, we headed to the Student Stores on campus to load up. Unfortunately, we didn't really find the sizes we needed, but at least our little cheerleeder had fun.
Before heading home to watch the game, we let the kids run around in the fountains outside the Student Stores. What's more fun that getting wet when it's almost 100 degrees outside at 11 am!?
SIDENOTE: I wanted to give a shout-out to my friend, Kathleen Simmons, for making Abby Reece's cute dress! I got soooo many compliments on it today.
Kathleen is super talented and can make especially cute sports stuff for your kiddos! Check out her Little Hipsters page on Facebook. Love ya Duff!!
I am SO coming for a game sometime (minus the kids)! Hahah! Abby looked so sweet in her dress! Glad your first experience was a great one!
ReplyDeletelooks like carolina blue is already a faint memory! ha ha! so fun and so cool that you can run there from your house. the start of football season is pretty cool!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a blast. Who needs a game??? What a fun family day and I love Abby's dress!
ReplyDeleteTailgating is great fun, we enjoy it without even having a winning team. Hope you also get to go to some games. ROLL TIDE and say a little prayer for the Memphis Tigers
ReplyDeleteLOVE AR's dress...I need her to get a bunch more :) Looks like a great start to football season. Mike said he wants to come to the brunch with you guys!
ReplyDeletewhat an event! tailgating done right :) Abby's dress is precious. Good luck getting more game day attire!
ReplyDeleteAwww, Girl! I just now saw this posting. Thanks so much for the shout-out and the kind words -- means a lot to me!!! Abby is beyond adorable! Glad your first GameDay experience went well. Won't be long before you'll be sharing my obsession with college football :)
ReplyDeleteMiss ya,
Kathleen