Monday, June 2, 2014

Saying Goodbye

Greg's grandma, Lucille Givens, passed away last week after her third battle with cancer. We travelled to Memphis this past weekend to see family, attend the funeral services, and to celebrate a wonderful woman's long life. (She would have been 93 this week!)
 
I met Grandma Givens back in May 2000, as Greg was graduating from Wake Forest University. Her kind heart won me over immediately, and for that reason, I came to know her as one of my own grandmothers. She always called Greg her #1 Grandson, and wrote it in every birthday, Christmas, and anniversary card. She never forgot an occasion and was always very generous to our family.
 
June 2004, at our wedding

Oct. 2005, Greg and I travelled to Memphis to see Grandma and go to Graceland!

May 2006, Grandma came to Nashville for Kevin's graduation from Vanderbilt. These 3 grandchildren were her pride & joy!

June 2007, we travelled to Memphis for Grandma's surprise party! Aunt Molly always graciously opened her home to us when we visited. Here I am just a wee bit pregnant with Nate :)

Nov. 2007 - Grandma Givens with her #1 Grandson and #1 Great-Grandson!!

Proud Great Grandma!

Aug. 2008, Grandma (with Aunt Molly & Shan) travelled to our home in Murfreesboro to celebrate Nate's first birthday

Feb. 2009, Nate's first trip to Grandma's house in Memphis. He loved the soft blue carpet and playing in Grandma's fancy car!

May 2010, we travelled to Memphis for Uncle Shan's retirement party, and Grandma Givens got to meet Abby for the first time! (This trip was especially memorable b/c of the "great flood" we experienced on I-40 on the way home. Longest 11 hours of my life!)

May 2011,  Aunt Molly planned another fabulous party - this time for Grandma's 90th birthday!!

Visiting Grandma's new home at Ave Maria Assisted Living

June 2012, we went to Memphis for Aunt Molly's retirement party....

.....and Grandma Givens let the kids play in her fancy new motorized chair!

Apr 2013, the last time we visited Grandma Givens in Memphis
We loved Grandma Givens very much and will miss her dearly! I'm so glad my kids have such fond memories of visiting with her, and know first-hand what a wonderful woman she was.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Emily for such a beautiful testament to my mother. She loved all of you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. Grandma Givens always meant alot to me and I know her great grandchildren brought her immense joy and pride in the last few years of her life. She was a wonderful person and will be dearly missed by all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a wonderful tribute, Em! It shows how much you cared about her.

    ReplyDelete