Over the past few weeks, Nate's math unit at school has involved money. He has really enjoyed learning about all different types of coins, their value, the presidents on them, etc. Actually to say he has been enjoying it is the understatement of the year!! He is borderline obsessed.
He started combing through his & Abby's piggy banks (as well as my wallet), trying to find "specialty quarters." To him, this meant quarters that had a state on the back. I told him that his Daddy used to collect all the state quarters, back in college when they were just releasing 4-5/year. So, our little coin collector was born...
I dug out a little box I had in my safe, from my grandpa who also enjoyed collecting coins. I found a few silver dollars and I have never seen Nate's eyes light up so big!
| His first silver dollar! |
Nate's teacher must have also recognized this new interest of Nate's, because she sent a note home 2 weeks ago that said "I am going to start giving Nate extra math classwork because I've noticed he really likes adding and counting money." Ha! So here is some of that:
Then, the boy goes and picks out this book last week at the library. I just assumed it was like money, like the cover says:
But no, when you open it up, it is more like an economics book!!!! Of course Greg was proud. And very excited to read it to him, ha!
Now, fast forward to Thursday. And enter: Poppy.
He and Nanny came for a visit. Poppy has been known to be a coin-collector himself (and a bit obsessive as well!) so he & Nate got right to work....sorting State Quarters, presidential dollar coins, buffalo nickels, Susan B. Anthony coins....you name it, they looked at them. Poppy graciously gave Nate most of his collection, and Nate wanted to look through the coins ONE BY ONE and have Poppy tell him about them, how old they were, etc. They even got on the internet to look up a few values....Nate's best find was an 1892 nickel worth $14!! Of course that one (and about 20 others) were put in a small protective sleeve and stapled shut.
Poppy was very patient with Nate all weekend - and his endless questions - but to be honest, I think Poppy was having even more fun than Nate!! Grandpa Gregg Gibbs would be proud....the coin collecting gene will live on in Nate.... :)
Poppy was very patient with Nate all weekend - and his endless questions - but to be honest, I think Poppy was having even more fun than Nate!! Grandpa Gregg Gibbs would be proud....the coin collecting gene will live on in Nate.... :)
Nate could not WAIT to get home from school on Friday, to look at more coins with Poppy. Poppy surprised him and gave him not only a State Quarters map, but also a Presidential Dollar Coin map and a State Parks Quarter map. Yes, these two peas in a pod had quite an exciting few days!! :)
Quite the collection for a 6 year old!!
i kind of really really love this! we have 2 quarter books, but haven't taken them out since we bought them (if you come to Denver, go to the Denver Mint - really cool tour!). i hope Addy wants to get into this at some point :).
ReplyDeleteIt was a special time for both of them, but the taking selfies together definitely was the funniest and most memorable in my memory book!
ReplyDelete