Sunday, August 4, 2013

About to Explode!

Nate told Greg the other night that he thought his brain was going to explode. I don't blame him; he's accomplished/met soooo many milestones these past few months.

First, he learned to tie his shoes. Which I blogged about here.

Then, he learned to ride a bike without training wheels and hasn't looked back since. (Click here to read that blogpost.) In fact, according to him, he's going to a "professional biker" when he grows up and he tries to ride his bike at least 1x/day to "train." (Sidenote: Greg loves watching the Tour de France every July, and this year Nate really got into too. Not to mention Greg is turning into a pro cyclist himself :) Like father, like son.)

Then, the boy learned to swim. Click here to recap that post. And every time he's in a pool, he swims farther and longer. And really enjoys it too, thank goodness.

And now.............the boy is learning to read!!!!!!!! This is perhaps the biggest milestone. Well, at least to me it is. (Which is pretty ironic considering GREG is the one who has taught him!!) Almost every night the past month, they have snuggled in Nate's bed before bedtime and Greg has patiently been working on some beginner reader books with him. The "Pete the Cat" series, as well as Dr. Seuss ones and some by Mo Willems have been the favorites so far. They called me in there the other night, and Nate read 6 pages in a row of "Are You My Mother?" Brought tears to my eyes! He is still very slow, but we are just so proud that he is finally "getting" it, and not getting frustrated every time he has a hard time with a word. He told Greg that he likes reading at night, but he'd prefer to do it in the morning when he's "at full power." Oh, how I love my boy!
When Greg was talking about all these milestones with Nate the other night, he listed them all and then Nate quickly added "And I learned to whistle & armpit fart this summer too!" Oh yes. We celebrate every milestone big & small around here :)

And then.........just when you thought little Nate's brain couldn't handle any more.....he's about to hit TWO MORE big milestones this month. On Tuesday, he will start kindergarten (sniff, sniff). And in less than 3 weeks, he will turn SIX! So, stay tuned for those two adventures; I will be sure to blog about them soon.

For now, just wanted to say how much I love my growing boy & how proud I am of him!!




4 comments:

  1. Arm farting is not a milestone to be skipped! That's definitely blog material! We need video

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mary Leigh!!!
    Way to go Nate for all that you learn. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I may just have to start staying "100 days" as Abby says so don't miss anything big. Everything is happening so fast, particularly the growing up. just 6 years ago we were on alert for the first grandchild and making the mad dash. I have been going down "Memory Lane" recently as I clean out the garage. Can't wait to hear Nate read and fart and see him ride his bike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I may just have to start staying "100 days" as Abby says so don't miss anything big. Everything is happening so fast, particularly the growing up. just 6 years ago we were on alert for the first grandchild and making the mad dash. I have been going down "Memory Lane" recently as I clean out the garage. Can't wait to hear Nate read and fart and see him ride his bike.

    ReplyDelete