Somehow, we have already been in our new house for a week! We love it already, but wow, what a whirlwind week it's been.....
First, let me back up & recap the last 2 days in our old house. We were slated to move Friday (while both kids were in school in the morning), and so OF COURSE, Abby wakes up with a super high fever Thursday at 3 am. It was scary high - 103.5 - and of course all of our medicine & thermometers were already packed. Super Dad ran to the store while I stayed with A and kept a cool cloth on her. She slept in bed with me the rest of the night - Greg got demoted to the couch - and woke up in better spirits but still feverish. We let her have one last sleepover in N's room on Thursday night, and they were happy as can be to be sleeping on the floor :)
Since Abby still had a mild fever Thursday night, I couldn't send her to school on Friday and so she was on "moving duty with Mommy." Let me say, that was just SUCH an enjoyable experience. Um, not. She did a lot of playing on the Kindle:
As well as having a picnic lunch on a mattress and playing on the Leapster. Fun times.
Not only was having a toddler "help" with Moving Day a fun experience for me, but it also put double the work on Greg. Luckily we had a little bit of help for a few hours. We "rented rowers" from the UA Club team and they helped Greg with all the heavy lifting/furniture.
Moving the furniture & big stuff took all of Day 1/Friday, and a sweet friend took Nate to a classmate's birthday party that night so Greg & I (and Abby) could continue the moving process. We shuttled back & forth from the old house numerous times (thank goodness it's only 14 houses down!) and I didn't get the kids to bed till after 9 pm. Poor Greg worked way past midnight, but at least he got pretty good at driving that huge U-Haul :)
Here is Miss Priss on our first night in the new house, "big girl bed" and all. We finally upgraded her to a double bed and she was THRILLED that all her "friends" fit.
Day 2/Saturday started off early, as Greg & I began unloading the U-Haul starting at 6 am. He had brought a full load back at midnight the night before, and just didn't have the legs to unload it. And we had to return the U-Haul by 9 am Saturday, so we had to hustle! To save time, we literally just unloaded everything from the U-Haul to the carport. As you can see, it was quite a mess. (And there was STILL a ton of stuff back at the old house, but this was all that would fit on the U-Haul at one time.)
Sunday was filled with more trips between houses, and I eventually went grocery shopping and got the kitchen unpacked so we could have our first home-cooked meal. (I do love me some fast food, but even I was getting sick of getting take-out for every meal.)
It's been a slow process, and I'm trying not to get overwhelmed with unpacking. But the perfectionist in me has a HARD time with that. For now, I will just leave you with a few shots of my "favorite things" in the house, in no particular order....
1. The entryway & foyer
2. The living room with built-in shelves and cabinets and a functioning/rolling ladder!! There are 49 shelves in all, and I know that because I cleaned every.single.one.
3. The sunroom, which was previously used as an artist's studio. We are going to use it as....the craft room! Very excited to have the the kids craft table and my scrapbook table set up in here with all the natural light.
4. Abby's room....we are going with a very mild "bird" theme, but right now the only thing I have unpacked is that accent pillow!
5. The plantation blinds in the bonus room, which are original to the house (circa 1950). Love!
6. The open shelving in the kitchen. This was the first thing I got done in the house and I smile everytime I walk in the kitchen & see this!
7. The chandelier in the powder room downstairs.
8. The built-ins in Nate's room
It might be awhile until I feel ready enough to post any other pictures, so hope this will hold you over for now (Erin)! :)
We have lots of Christmas activities planned for this weekend, so stay tuned for that post!
(2 neighborhood parties, 1 trip to get our Christmas tree, 1 cookie-decorating party, 2 visits to Santa, 2 train rides, 1 birthday party, and a partridge in a pear tree.... :)
love love love - thanks for posting! i laughed when you said you moved 14 houses down and had to go look up your old address since i commented on your "new" street address yesterday as being fancy. didn't realize it was the same, haha! i still want to hear the story about how you found the house - i think you said there was a story? congrats on the house, it's lovely!
ReplyDeleteps - can you unpack my house when we move? thanks!
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!! Cant wait to see it in person! And um... Abby.. big girl room? How can it be time? But cant wait to see the finished product!
ReplyDeleteHooray, I have been dying for pics of the new house. So glad the xmas crack was your first piece of mail! LOVE all the built-in shelves and the floors are gorgeous. Looking forward to more details. Have a fun weekend of holiday cheer.
ReplyDeleteLove the house!! It gave me anxiety to read it though...not looking forward to unpacking our house. Can't wait to see it in person. I'm obsessed with all the fun chandlers and of course the gorgeous built ins. Bets on when you will walk in the living room and find Abby swinging back and forth on the ladder :)
ReplyDeleteagain, i am a broken record. I FREAKING AM SO JEALOUS OF YOUR NEW HOUSE~ I love it. And it is going to be so amazing. Just take it one room at a time, you'll have it done in no time.
ReplyDeleteWow! The adventures of Emily Givens were HUGE this week! Great job (1) taking care of Abby and moving at the same time--double pat on the back, (2) getting pictures of the last night and the first night in the house, (3) packing and unpacking in the midst of the academic semester--poor Greg!, (4) and on buying a beautiful house!!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about the cowgirl outfit! I don't even care about it. It was a hand me down from my niece, so whenever it is convenient to return it is fine--even if that is a month down the road.
Got the Christmas card and you guys are too cute!! Love!
House looks great! I am sure it's way more done than you are letting on ms. perfectionist. Can't wait to see the Christmas tree :)
ReplyDeleteFrom what I can tell, it looks like you've already gotten a lot done! And everything looks great! Love, love, love all the detail shots of your favorite things...I agree they are all wonderful!
ReplyDelete