One thing I love about Nate's school is that they have ONE and only one fundraiser all year, called the Boosterthon! (I remember being a kid and hating that I had to go door to door to sell candy bars, wrapping paper, etc during all different times of year. And I'm sure my parents weren't big fans either!) And this is such a great fundraiser because it's really fun for the kids and focuses on teamwork, character building, and fitness.
The Boosterthon centers around a "fun run" (that was held today), and Nate has been harassing our families (!) all week long for pledges. People could pledge either a flat donation, or a dollar amount per lap that they thought Nate would be able to complete. Every time Nate got a new pledge, he got a new prize from the Boosterthon staff at school. These ranged from boomerangs and hoop sets to watches and wristbands, and were the highlight of his day. He has counting down the days till the "finale," which was the Fun Run today. He was able to complete all 35 laps, and had such a blast.
When I dropped him off at school this morning, I told him I'd see him on the football field soon for the race. He said "Look for me. I'll be the guy with a red band on." And that he was..... see if you can spot him.....
He got a sweatband & wristband as one of his prizes, and insisted on wearing them last night to bed as well as to the race, b/c "the big helper guys wear them too." :)
Here's his class, taking a warm-up lap....
And, he's off! Let the Fun Run begin!!
After each lap, a teacher or volunteer would mark off a space on the back of his shirt. This way, you knew when each kid had completed 35 laps.
The jury's still out as to whether Nate is going to an athlete or a mathlete, but either way, this guy is Nate's biggest fan!!
I did it, Mom!!
Click here to watch a quick snippet of the fun run. It was pretty much organized chaos at it's finest!
(And a big thank you to our families - Nate was able to raise over $300 for his school!!)
yay nate! much happier than his last run :).
ReplyDeletealso - you can be a mathlete AND an athlete!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, you need to tell me when he has fund raisers! I would have helped!
ReplyDeleteAnd OMG.. the sweatbands... HILARIOUS! I love it! He looks so handsome, maybe he'll be a track runner like Mama!