Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Proud to be a Soccer Mom

This afternoon, Nate had his first soccer "game." (It's really a practice - that's all they have at this age - but he likes to call it a game. Wonder how long it will take for him to figure out no one's keeping score!)

I misjudged the amount of time it would take to get to the fields, and then we got stuck in traffic, so Nate was crying in the backseat that we'd "be last" and I was honking my horn and driving like a bat out of hell to get to practice as soon as possible.

Yes, I'm officially a soccer mom and have the mini-van to prove it!

Nate did a great job and was happy to see 2 of his friends from school, Anthony and Alex. There are about 8-10 boys on the team, from what I can tell. And the coach, a girl called KK, used to play soccer for both Clemson & Alabama. She was so great with the kids and Nate was impressed that she was a "real" soccer player!! There's also 2 other "assistant coaches" that really just corral all the kids. (Did I mention that it was hilarious to watch!? Organized chaos to say the least.)

They started out playing a "dribble in the grid" game. Watching 4 year olds interpret the word "dribble" is pretty entertaining.


At one point, Nate started swinging his arms around like a crazy man and was complaining about all the bugs. Yes, he is his father's son. I tried to take a video of this but kept laughing so hard I was shaking the camera.

Here's some action shots of my soccer stud:



During the hour long practice, I think they took like 5 water breaks!? Hilarious. And poor N was out of breath each time. He was working hard! Here's his bud, Anthony.


He loved all the other games they played:
- dribble race
- sharks & minnows
- knockout
- firing squad
- red light, green light (he was really good at the "freezing" part

Abby was a trooper while we were there....she followed me all over the field as I took pictures/videos like a crazy person. Yes, I was THAT mom. She loved walking on the lines like a balance beam, as well as holding "Bruba's wawoo" (Brother's water) and showing off her belly. Don't ask. For some reason she does this everywhere we go now. Love her modesty.


I am SO proud of Nate for having fun, listening to directions, and for having a good attitude. I'm sure they'll be some meltdowns in the future, but for now, he said he had a blast!

They don't play next week - due to spring break - but the week after that they get their team shirts. Nate is anxiously awaiting this!!

3 comments:

  1. He looks like he is having so much fun! I can't wait for Colin to be old enough to play sports. I need to find a good way to release all his extra engery!

    Nate looks so big in these pictures.

    Maybe Abby needs a cheerleader outfit. Maybe a one piece to avoid the over exposure. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip hip hoooray! Can't wait. We have our team meeting next week. My poor team will be very sad they don't have a real soccer player as a coach! ha!

    And poor Bates, nothing fits that shrimpy child. He gonna be hysterical in his too big uniform!!!

    Yeah for mini van driving soccer moms!!! (and crazy moms who take a million pictures of our kids!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG... I love his "game face", this makes me smile! I so wished our boys could play together :( But Im looking fwd to G playing some day!

    ReplyDelete