Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Theatre Camp 2018

Abby ventured outside of her comfort zone and tried her hand at Theatre Camp this year. (Well, she may have been forced to do the camp, but it's just because we knew she would love it!!)

It took place June 18-29 from 8-12 pm, and it was held at a local community college, Shelton State.  Groups were broken down by grade, and Abby's group was 2nd & 3rd graders. They had four 45 minute classes: Acting, Music, Dance, and Improv. Abby was most nervous about the acting class, because in her words "I don't know how to act!" I told her that's what camp was for! :) Luckily, a friend from school joined her at camp so that calmed her nerves a bit.
Jonesy came home with us one day after camp to play & spend the night. The girls were *so* excited to show me the dance studio, where all of their classes take place.

When I picked Abby up the first day, she could *not* stop talking about her fun day! (As I pat myself on the back for knowing she would love this camp!) They played lots of fun games in Improv & Acting class, so it wasn't as scary as she thought.

On the 3rd day of camp, the Acting coach asked everyone to pick a monologue and start memorizing it. This terrified Abby, but I found a good one online that she could relate to. The character's name was Shonda, and it was so funny to see Abby really get into character & read with expression as the camp went on. She was able to memorize it in no time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Shonda wants to help her mom bake in the kitchen. She wants to be a chef when she grows up.)

Mom, can I help? Why not? I’m good at baking. I do not make a mess! I do a good job. Can we make cookies? Chocolate chip? Everybody likes cookies. I’m done with my homework. So I can help you. Please? I want to be Rachel Ray when I grow up. Can I use the rolling pin? I like the rolling pin. You want me to watch TV? I never get to help. You told me you’d teach me to cook when I’m older, and I’m older now. I know you told me that last week, so I’m a whole week older now. I just want to help, Mommy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the last day of camp, each group had a Showcase in the theatre. Their teachers talked about each class, and they performed a little bit of everything.

For the Improv class, Abby participated in a game called "Anything Goes." The card she drew asked her to act out a turtle doing a dance routine. No one guessed it, but she was hilarious and I was proud of her for doing it in front of a large crowd on stage.
For Acting class, some of the kids volunteered to do their monologues. I had hoped Abby would, but she decided not to. Instead she participated in a game where the teacher gave them a scene to act out and they had 1 minute to prepare. Hers was the "worst restaurant in the world" and they did a great job.

For Music class, they sang the song "Step One."

For Dance class, they did two things. First, a "Dance through the Decades." It was my favorite part of the whole showcase!! Click here to watch that.

Then, their teacher choreographed a musical theater dance routine to "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile." Abby was a stand-out in my (biased) opinion!!









Abby & Jonesy
We were so proud of her for all her hard work at Theatre Camp! Which called for a celebratory donut, of course :)




No comments:

Post a Comment